Jeremy Scahill and Murtaza Hussain
Feb 18, 2026
A former senior U.S. intelligence official who is an informal advisor to the Trump administration on Middle East policy told Drop Site that, based on his discussions with current officials, he assesses an 80-90% likelihood of U.S. strikes within weeks.
Iran realizes that it is facing an unprecedented threat from the U.S. if a deal that conforms with Trump’s terms is not reached, former Pentagon official Jasmine El-Gamal told Drop Site. “This is not a dress rehearsal,” she said. “This is it. This is not the negotiations of last year or the year before or the year before that. They’re backed into a corner. There’s no off ramp.”



Removed by mod
They weren’t, weapons grade is 90, 60 is what is permitted by the NPT agreement, which is what they were enriching to.
Removed by mod
That resolution refers to the requirements set by the 2019 agreement after the Trump unilaterally tore up the previous, multilateral agreement. America does not get to dictate what other states are allowed to do.
Removed by mod
I started trying to help cite what the actual amount of enrichment that is allowed, and based upon what I read it would seem that the enrichment amount is unimportant, the only requirement is that is must be used for “peaceful purposes”, this can be found in Article III section 3, and by extension article IV, treaty Article 3.3
Article 4
The percentage may have come from a standpoint of plausible deniability for civilian uses, but based on the treaty itself, enrichment does not mean anything.